Make your own free website on

Facts about Planet Earth

* Diameter: 12,800 km.

* Atmosphere: Mainly nitrogen 78.084% Nitrogen, 20.946% Oxygen. The other small parts include Argon, Carbon Dioxide, Helium, Hydrogen, Methane.

* Natural Satellites: 1 - the Moon

* Earth Year: 365 days (rotation around the sun)

* Earth Day: 24 hours

* Surface: 71% of Earth's surface is covered in water.

* Temperature Range: -69?C to 58?C.

* Age: more than 4.5 billion years old.

* Average Distance from Sun: 149,597,870 km (93 million miles)

* Average distance from Earth to Moon: 384 000 km (238 607 miles). The Moon orbits Earth in 27.3217 days.

* Tilt: 23.45

* Orbits the Sun: Speed of 107,870 km per hour (67,027 miles) per hour.

* Name: Comes from old English and German.

The Earth consists of a gaseous atmosphere, the hydrosphere (all water on Earth), the lithosphere, mantle, and core. Water in the form of the oceans covers approximately 70% of the earth's surface. The remaining 30% is land. There are five contientnts: Eurasia (Europe and Asia), America (North and South Amererica), Africa, Antaractica and Australia.

The following are some interesting facts:
1. Mount Everest is the highest point on the surface.

2. The largest volcano on earth is Mauna Loa volcano in Hawaii.

3. The longest river is the Nile River in Africa is 6,695 kilometers (4,160 miles) long.

4. The driest place on Earth is the Atacama Desert in Chile.

5. Grand Canyon is the world's largest canyon.

6. Caspian Sea is the largest lake in the world by size and volume. It is located between southeast Europe and west Asia.

7. The Sahara Desert in northern Africa is the world’s largest desert.

8. The world’s deepest lake is Lake Baikal in the south central part of Siberia is 5,712 feet (1.7 kilometers) deep.

9. Greenland is the world’s largest island. Note: Australia is a continent.

10. Coldest temperature was minus 89.2 °C (-128.5?F) in Vostok, Antarctica, 1983. The highest temperature was 58°C (136.4?F) at Al'Aziziyah, Libya, on 13th September 1922.

How many Man-Made Satellites are Orbitting the Earth?
The Goddard Space Flight Center's lists 2,271 satellites currently in orbit. Russia has the most satellites currently in orbit, with 1,324 satellites, followed by the U.S. with 658. through this web site you will find info on earth realted satellites and space-ships (spacecraft).

Man-made Structure Visible from Space
The Only Man-made Structure Visible from Space is the Great Wall of China It stretches over 6,000 kilometers (nearly 4,000 miles). It is truly awesome.

Light Pollution
The world's first anti-light pollution law "the Protection of the Atmosphere Act" became law in the Czech Republic on February 27th, 2002.

Did you know?
- Earth's axis is tilted 23.45? This creates the seasons because Earth's surface changes its position relative to the Sun and hence the amount of heat delivered to the surface.

- There is no official flag of the Earth.

- The daily rotation of the Earth causes the day and night.

- The Earth is wider at the equator than from pole to pole

Back To Kaz's World